Anthony Johnson looking for an October return

UFC lightweight competitor Anthony "Rumble" Johnson who is recovering from an eye injury he sustained in July 19 bout with Kevin Burns at Ultimate Fight Night 14 could be cleared to compete as soon as September, but is taking a little more time to rest the eye and could look to get back in the mix by October.

Johnson discusses the injury with MMAWeekly.com saying, “I had laser surgery to reattach my retina and I got stitches in my eyeball right now,” Johnson also added. “The laceration on my eye was from one end of my eye to the other.”

Ken Pavia who is Johnson's agent is still trying to get an appeal on the outcome of the fight, but Johnson seems to be at peace with the decision and is moving forward,

“I wasn’t really big on the whole appealing the fight anyway,” he commented. “Every single champion has a loss on his record. I’m trying to see myself as the bigger and better guy. If he’s the champion one day, I’ll accept an ‘L’. “Everybody was hating on (Steve) Mazzagatti because of the call, but he was on the side I was blocking on, so he actually didn’t see the guy eye gouge me. All he saw was the uppercut… he called what he thought he saw and I respect him.”Johnson continued. “I was disappointed because I did lose like that… when it should have been a no contest or a DQ. He saw what he thought he saw, so I’m not hating on him about it.”

Johnson still does not deserve the loss, but now he just looks focused to take it out on his next opponent whoever that may be and we at URDirt.com wish AJ a speedy recovery and hope to see you back in the Octagon very soon.


Intense Debate for Comment tracking, Avatars and comment voting. Click here to sign up and comment on URDirt.com.